Sunday, October 14, 2012

This weekend was interesting. I was getting the house ready for the cold weather that will soon be upon us and noticed that there was a big hole in the duct work for the furnace.
 
So I went to the hardware store and bought a sheet of tin to make a new piece to replace the one in the photo. As I was removing this piece I seen something I had never seen before. There where two boxes coming out of the side of the duct work that at one time had water lines hooked to them.


Since I was working in a confined space (crawlspace) I removed them so I could get a better look at what they are. From what I can figure out is, they are humidifiers. Since this is probably what caused the duct work to rust out, I left them out and patched the holes where they were installed. I don't know much about how these worked or how old they are. If anyone has any information on how old these are and how they worked, please feel free to contact me and let me know.

So needless to say, a job that should have took an hour to fix ended up taking 5 hours to do and a lot of questions to be answered.


 

2 comments:

  1. Well how old is your place - thatwill probably give you a clue on the first one & a clue for the second one is how old is your unit. I hope you made sure the water supply was shut off to them

    ReplyDelete
  2. The house was built in 1910 but the unit itself is not that old. The furnace was replaced before I bought the house. So I don't know for sure how old these are. I made sure the water supply to them was off and that the supply lines where not leaking.

    ReplyDelete